Carpenter will replace Jim Schmitz, the Middle Tennessee president for Regions Bank, as co-chairman, joining Mayor Megan Barry, the body's other co-chair. Schmitz will serve a one-year term as the vice chairman of the chamber's board, according to a news release.
“I’m honored to be a part of Partnership 2020 as we continue to impact the prosperity of this region. Together, we are creating capital investments through business relocations and expansions, enhancing quality of life through transit and health improvements, and paving the way through education advancements – all factors that contribute to the economic success of Middle Tennessee,” Carpenter said in a statement. “Let’s continue this economic momentum.”
Partnership 2020 was launched July 2011 and serves as a blueprint for growing the 13-county metropolitan area. Its original co-chairmen were former Mayor Karl Dean and Milton Johnson, CEO of HCA Healthcare Inc.
According to the release, several Nashville executives will also be joining the Nashville Area Chamber board of directors. They include:
- Doug Brandon, regional managing principal, Cushman and Wakefield
- Mary Cavarra, executive vice president and CFO, Ingram Industries Inc.
- Mark Fioravanti, president and CFO, Ryman Hospitality Partners
- C. Wright Pinson, CEO, Vanderbilt Health System; chairman, Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network; deputy CEO, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Alan Pramuk, chairman and CEO, Gresham Smith and Partners
- Tony Swafford, partner, Adams and Reese